Brian Cassey – Photographer
Long based in Australia’s northern tropical city of Cairns, I was born in London UK almost with a camera in my hand. (First camera a VP Twin 127 Bakelite camera – 2/6d at Woolworths – first pics were of the HMS Queen Elizabeth leaving Southampton)
I spent my formative and ‘interesting’ teenage years playing and photographing football (the round ball World game). Pictures appeared regularly in London’s metro and suburban press before moving to Australia in 1973.
Currently working for numerous Australian and International media – newspapers, wires and magazines – principally covering news, features and sport.
Covered the tsunami aftermath in northern Papua New Guinea 1998, the evacuation of refugees from East Timor 1999, the coup in Fiji and the World Economic Forum riots in Melbourne in 2000, the victims of the 2002 Bali bomb blasts, the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami disaster in Indonesia, Thailand and Myanmar and the category 5 Cyclones Larry (2006) & Yasi (2011) which brought devastation to northern Queensland Australia.
My work has been recognised with numerous awards both in Australia and Internationally.
I am also a member of the photographers collective ‘fotostrada’ – an award winning group of talented & experienced photojournalists based in Australia.
Over many years I have been fortunate to have worked regularly for innumerable newspapers, magazines and agencies around the planet. Below are some of the most regular and prestigious.
- The Courier Mail – Brisbane Australia
- The Sydney Morning Herald – Sydney Australia
- The Age – Melbourne Australia
- The Daily Telegraph – Sydney Australia
- New York Times – USA
- AP (Associated Press of America)
- Rex Features – London UK
- Time Magazine – Australia
- The Sun – London UK
- The Times – London UK
- The Daily Mirror – London UK
- The Daily Telegraph – London UK
- The Sunday Mirror – London UK
- The Daily Express – London UK
- The Guardian – UK
- Good Weekend Magazine – Sydney Australia
- The Australian – Sydney Australia
- The Sunday Mail – Brisbane Australia
- The Herald Sun – Melbourne Australia
- Age on Sunday – Melbourne Australia
- The Advertiser – Adelaide Australia
- International Herald Tribune
- Woman’s Day – Australia
- The Daily Mail – London UK
- The Sunday Express – London UK
- The Daily Star – London UK
- Mail on Sunday – London UK
- Ireland on Sunday – Dublin Eire
- The Globe – USA
- Australian Geographic Magazine
- New Idea Magazine – Sydney Australia
- Outback Magazine – Australia
- Who Magazine – Australia